Archive for the ‘SACL Meeting Minutes’ Category

Meeting Minutes – January 2015

South Atlanta Civic League

Meeting Minutes

January 5, 2015


Josh Noblitt opened the meeting with a moment of silence.


Community Pride

Mazie Lynn Causey announced that AFD Station 2 has a new facebook page and encouraged neighbors to follow the page. Rick Sakaske commended Chris McCord and the work of a volunteer group this past weekend. They cleaned up a lot of trash and made a positive impact. Russell Hopson shared that he was proud of several neighborhood youth that stayed late after the SACL Holiday Party and helped clean up.


Community Reports: Sgt. Host from APD gave the Zone 3 stats. There were questions and comments from the community. The group requested a representative from APD Gang Prevention to present at next month’s meeting.


Committee Reports

Beautification – Chris McCord asked the body about their feelings toward outside volunteer groups coming into the neighborhood for clean-up projects. Discussion ensued and overall feelings were positive.

Code Enforcement – Mazie Lynn Causey shared that there was a house fire on Burton Avenue last week. She is working on finding out what the family needs so that neighbors can help. Rick Sakaske reported that a house on the Top 20 list was demolished by the city last month. The list is down to 18 houses.


Community Business

Josh Noblitt announced that officer elections will be next month at the February meeting. Josh as appointed Russell Hopson, Mazie Lynn Causey and Larry Witherspoon to the Nominating Committee to prepare a slate of officers for the election. Nominations will be accepted from the floor as well at the February meeting.


Katie Delp shared about FCS’s latest imitative of surveying the neighborhood for the Flourishing Neighborhood Index. FCS will work closely with SACL to examine the results of the survey in order to help provide direction, data and insight for future community programming and development.


Community Forum

Dan Crain asked that the community help youth connect with neighborhood youth events such as the South Atlanta Bike Shop, Youth Groups and flag football. He also announced that there will be a neighborhood prayer time Thursday, January 8th at Henry M. White UMC at 7pm.


Rick Sakaske announced that St. Vincent de Paul Society is moving into the old SunTrust building on Lakewood and converting it to a thrift store and social services.


Russell Hopson announced that the NPU-Y meeting will be moved to Tuesday, January 20th due to the MLK holiday.


Chris McCord announced that Moving in the Spirit currently has open enrollment for some of their classes.


Meeting adjourned.


Meeting Minutes – November 2014

South Atlanta Civic League  

November 3, 2014

Meeting Minutes


Josh Noblitt opened the meeting with a moment of silent reflection.


Community Pride Rick Sakaske said thank you to whoever cut down the tree on Brown Avenue. Treat Street was a success. Ms Ressie said that she will be back next year. Mazie Lynn excited about ZipCar. Great event on Saturday with ZipCar. Gammon resident shared about increase police presence on Gammon.


Committee Reports

Code Enforcement – Rick Sakaske updated the body on the status of the Top 20 properties. Still working to locate owners. Have been in conversation with some of the owners.


Community Reports

Officer gave the October crime reports for Beat 305. Having large issues with crime related crimes.  Community voiced concerns.


Community Business

Josh Noblitt announced the SACL Christmas Party on Monday, December 1st. Asking for volunteers to help with the event – decorations, set up and coordination.


Michelle Witherspoon announced about Youth Group that meets on Wednesdays at 7pm. Encouraged the group to not only report problems with youth but to engage them in conversations and youth activities.


There is a recycling event in Lakewood this Saturday, November 8th at Lakewood Stadium. Event will include electronics and paper shredding.


Jeff Delp announced ZipCar’s arrival and explained ZipCar to the group.


Jeff Delp announced the Carver Neighborhood Market will be opening in January.  The Marketplace will be closing and transitioning into a food market. He distributed a survey for the community to find out needs/wants from the neighborhood.


Katie Delp announced the system for reporting street light outages.


Community Forum

Dan Crain announced that there has been a group of ministry leaders and pastors gathering weekly to pray for the neighborhood.  They will be hosting a prayer night every first Thursday at Henry M White United Methodist Church from 7pm to 8pm.  All community members are welcome to attend. He encouraged the group to invite their neighbors.


Vote tomorrow!


Meeting adjorned.

Meeting Minutes – October 2014

South Atlanta Civic League

October 6, 2014

Meeting Minutes


The was called to order by Russell Hopson and opened with a moment of silence.


Community Pride Cynthia Pearson that long-time resident Emory Dickerson passed away. Ricke Sakaske shared he is thankful someone has started cleaning up the fallen tree on Brown Avenue


Community Report Captain Durant gave the monthly crime report for Beat 305. Car break-ins in the Villages of Carver was the largest activity. APD made two arrests during a robbery on Brown Avenue today.  The community voiced other safety concerns.


Sheryl Bennett from District One report they are working on truancy issues for Carver HS and Jackson HS. Please call 911 when you see a truant student and the call will be forward to APS to handle the situation.


Community Business Katie Delp announced Treat Street will take place Friday, October 31st at 5:30pm. Volunteers and candy donations are needed.


Dwight Ellison announced that SouthsideUP is hosting a clean up initiative on the 11th and the 18th at the traffic island at University and Pryor. They are seeking donations and volunteers for the project.


A representative from ZipCar announced their newest location will be in South Atlanta at the Community Grounds parking lot. She explained the ZipCar program and rates.


Rick Sakaske gave an updated on the Code Enforcement Committee’s work.


Katie Delp announced a training for Local School Councils that will be held from 9am to 12:30pm on Saturday, October 18th in the Gateway Center.


Community Forum Katie Delp that South Side t-shirts and house signs are available for purchase.


Jeff Delp announced that arrival of the Carver Neighborhood Market in January 2015.


Russell Hopson announced that today is the last day to register to vote in the November election. He is willing to assist anyone who needs help registering tonight.


Chris McCord and Rick Sakaske will be coordinating another tire round up in November.  Looking for volunteers.


The NPU-Y meeting will be held Monday, October 20 at the John Birdine Center.


There will be Recycling Day at Rice Memorial Presbyterian Church on November 1st.


Lucious Rakestraw announced the opening of Wal-Mart on Cleveland Avenue.
Meeting adjourned.

Meeting Minutes – September 2014

South Atlanta Civic League

September 9, 2014

Meeting MInutes


Josh Noblitt opened the meeting with a moment of silence.


Community Pride: Russell Hopson shared about the success of the Progressive Dinner.  He invited more to join in next year.  Chris McCord thanks FCS Urban Ministries for installing trash cans at the corner of Gammon Avenue and Jonesboro Road. Chris shared he’s seen a reduction of trash on Gammon since the installation.


Community Officials: Major Glazier, Zone 3 Captain, introduced Capt Durant. They reported on the past month’s crime. APD had made several burglary arrests in the Villages of Carver.  They reported there has been a crime suppression team in the neighborhood.  There was a discussion about dirt bikes and ATV “gangs”.


Council Member Carla Smith reported that there have been changes with the City Parks Department and the Friends of South Atlanta Park should meet with them. Truancy Issue Meetings have been happening for the Carver and Jackson Clusters at City Hall. If you see a truant student, please call 911 and 911 will forward the information to APS.  Questions were asked speed bumps on Thirkield Avenue.  Carla explained the process for requesting speed bumps. Nellie Springs asked about the city CryWolf laws about registering home security systems.


Community News: Katie Delp announced that Treat Street will take place on Friday, October 31st from 5:30 to 7:30.  Volunteers and candy donations are needed.


Josh Noblitt reported on the work of the Code Enforcement Committee.  Charis Community Housing has purchased one of the homes on the “Top 20” list.  SACL will start sending letters to the owners of properties on the Top 20 list.


Leslie Grant appointed Josh Noblitt to the APS task force to help make recommendations to the Superitenent about the future re-structuring of APS. Josh welcome input from the community.


Community Forum: Russell Hopson announce a Community Partnership Breakfast at Slater Elementary School on 10am on September 19th.


Michelle Witherspoon announced that the neighbor youth group will start back up this week.  All youth between the ages of 7 and 12 are welcome.


Jeff Delp announced that the Marketplace will begin selling groceries in early 2015 and asked for community input and support.

Nellie Springs would like to ask the Carver HS Football coach about block of tickets for the community.


Chris McCord announced that Moving in the Spirit is having open enrollment for dance classes.


Meeting adjourned.


Meeting Minutes – August 2014

SACL Meeting Minutes

August 4, 2014


Josh Noblitt opened the meeting with a moment of silent reflection.


Community Pride King of Pops party yesterday in South Atlanta Park was a huge success. The fiirst day of APS seemed to go smoothly and Leslie Grant hosted a back to school event at coffee shop this morning.


Community Reports  Major Glazier and Sgt Hester spoke on a couple of trends in Beat 305.  There is an uptick in burglary and car break-ins and a crime wave in the Villages of Carver. Major Glazier has increased police presence in Beat 305.  There was a carjacking at South Atlanta Park and an increase in Swamp gang activity.  Community concerns were voiced. Sgt Hester updated the community on the progression of several hot spots that had been shared at last month’s meeting. Chief Finley spoke about getting more resources to Zone 3.


Claire Farley gave an update on pawn shop legislation.


Community Business  Jeff Delp gave an update on the Friends of the South Atlanta Park.  The city is installing a pavilion and signage this fall.  A playground will be coming within the next 2 years.  Kristi Wood passed around a sign in sheet for the Friends of the South Atlanta Park.


Tanisha Corporal announced the Progressive Dinner will be Saturday, August 16th from 5pm to 8pm.  Hosts will be announced in the next several days via facebook and the coffee shop.


Rick Sakaske is the new chair of the Code Enforcement Committee.  The committee has identified 20 top problem properties to focus on.  Residents are invited to join the committee.  Committee is going to research properties, SACL will send letters to owner and then more communication with code enforcement.  Discussion ensued.


Community Forum  Jeff Delp introduced Faith Newport as the new manager of Community Grounds. Rev. Rice said the church will be tearing down 139 Brown Avenue.  Gloria Battle asked about kudzu trimming at the end of Bowen.


Dates to remember – NPU-Y Meeting on Monday, August 18th.


Meeting adjourned.


Meeting Minutes – July 2014

South Atlanta Civic League

Meeting Minutes

July 7, 2014


Josh Noblitt opened the meeting with a moment of silence.

Community Pride Rick Sakaske thanked the group that picked up trash on Moury Avenue.  Sarah Quezada praised the landscaping at the Paperstock property.  Lavonya Jones shared about the Entrepreneurship youth camp held at Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church.

Police and Elected Officials Sgt Hester shared that he has visited the clean-up sites given to him by SACL and make reports to Public Works.  Crime trouble spots were shared by the community.

Carla Smith and Sheryl Bennett reported on the Gammon Avenue committee working to curb the traffic on Gammon Avenue.  The committee has proposed to make Gammon Avenue a dead end with removable parking ballasts and would also add park signage and parking spaces at that park.  Discussion ensued and the body agreed with the suggestions.

Community Business Jeff Delp shared on behalf of the Friends of the South Atlanta Park that the city is putting in a new pavilion in the park and more plans coming.  On August 3rd there will be Pops in the Park in partnership with Park Pride and Friends of the Park.

Tanisha Corporal announced that the annual Progressive Dinner will be August 16th.  She is looking for volunteers to host a portion of the dinner.  There will be a Caribbean theme this year.

Chris McCord announced there will be a dumpster at 129 Park Avenue on Friday.  There will be a neighborhood clean-up on Saturday between 10am and 2pm.

Community Forum Mark Anthony Mitchell announced that Mt Pleasant will host a community cook-out on Saturday, July 12th from 10am to 1pm.

Lavonya Jones announced that there will be an Adult Entreprenuership class from 6:30pm to 8pm at the Villages of Carver.  The class will meet Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Russell Hopson announced that National Night Out will be August 6th and would like to organize a neighborhood walk for the event.

Katie Delp announced that Moving in the Spirit is now registering new students at

Meeting was adjourned.

Meeting Minutes June 2014

June 2, 2014 – minutes taken by Kore Bridges


Made $750.00 dollars off of kickball

Major Glazier present. Commander Zone 3. Beat 305

#6 based on crime. Moury Avenue crime, break-ins. Clean car campaign. Leave no valuables in the car. Burglary team 2 officers and 2 detectives. Violent crimes down. Zone 3 year to date minus 5 percent in crime.

National Night Out Tuesday August 5th. Some neighborhoods do back to school events. Police officers will be out going from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Brian Utterly-Grafitti Tagging Officer.

3 Japanese Maples were stolen from Sonoco.

Sgt Hester, spent 17 years in Zone 3, Interim director community services. Works with crime prevention inspection.

Nan Orrock re-elected by 71% of the votes cast. July 22nd run offs.

Weekend before Memorial Day will be the new date for kickball.

Wilson from Sonoco present at meeting.

Milton and Fran leaving to go to another neighborhood.

Saturday June 14th, Recycling Ambassadors.

National Night Out

Hillside Baptist Church Every Friday afternoon 5:30 for children outreach.

Meeting Minutes for May 2014

May 5th, 2014 Minutes South Atlanta taken by Kore Bridges

Meeting Minutes



Community Pride

Margaret Simon long time resident of South Atlanta, being honored by Spelman College. Taught at Spelman for 37 years. Lived on Martin Avenue. Recently passed.

Rick of South Atlanta commented on Tire Pick up and how the neighborhood looks better.


Community Reports

Andrew Smith and Officer Lowry present from APD. Overall city crime is down.

Claire Farley Zone 3 Community Prosecutor spoke on Gammon issues with students at Carver.

Sgt Brown Zone 3 says from 2-4 truancy officer will be at Gammon till the end of the year.

Neighbor informed Sgt Brown of truancy on Martin street.

Mr. Rakestraw predicts it’s going to be a TERRIBLE summer in reference to the kids in the community.


Sheryl Bennett present, thanks us for the community pride. Will be present for Kickball.


Senator Orrock present, primary elections May 20th. Early vote this Saturday. Guns everywhere bill was opposed by Senator Orrock. Georgia one of the top 5 states for uninsured residents. Illegal tires 2013 law has been changed so that the sticker will be placed on the bumper vs inside the car. Vote for Jason against Nathan Deal.


Sonoco Recycling has started to transform their work site. $75,000 dollars will be used to uplift the area which is the entry way to our neighborhood.


Lydia Woods at 75 Gammon will be using the blue house for a women outreach program.

March 2017 Meeting Minutes


Meeting Date and Start Time Monday March 3rd 2014 at 6:39pm @ Community Grounds Coffee Shop

Todd Coyt from APD was present. He is the new Captain for Zone 3, his phone number is 404-558-3242.

16 crimes on the 309 beat. Mostly theft from cars.

Detective Paul from Zone 3 present. He came from Zone 4 and is new to Zone 3. To report any crimes to him or department feel free to call 404-230-6140.

No chase policy for dirt bikes. Police cannot chase dirt or motorbikes.

Katie Lewis spoke in reference to Youth Empowerment Committee.

Carver Cluster Initiative will have meetings and everyone is invited to come. 1st Saturday of every month

Sonoco Recycling Update. President Josh Noblitt informed everyone that a letter to the CEO of Sonoco was sent and should have been received today. The letter outlines the abuse that the recycling plant places on our community.

Pancake Breakfast on March 8th at the Gateway Center

Annual Kickball on May 17th location TBD.

End of minutes

February 2014 Meeting Minutes

South Atlanta Civic League

Monday, February 3, 2014

Meeting Minutes


Meeting opened by Josh Noblitt with a moment of silence.


Meeting Minutes Taken By Kore Bridges


  • Jeff Glazier present from Atlanta Police Department, 20 years experience, covered Zone 3 from 1994-
  • 1998. Jeff Glazier is replacing Major Cavender.
  • Property crimes are down and violent crime is down. APD using Minority Report style software to
  • predict future crimes.
  • Claire Farley Zone 3 prosecutor was present and pledged to take on tow truck case that occurred during
  • winter storm in January.
  • Chris Mccord informed everyone to take tires for tire round up on Dorothy Street.
  • Sheryl Bennet was present and spoke about beautification and tire round up.
  • Any code violations can be sent to or call 404-330-6039
  • Voted on 2014 Budget, Budget approved 11-0
  • Russell Hopson voted to Permanent Vice President
  • Presidents Party February 16th
  • Pancake Social March 8th
  • Longtime South Atlanta resident Alfred Allen in the hospital.
  • Jorge Epss of the J Spot store raised concern about a large sinkhole on his property.


Meeting adjourned.

Return top