Archive for the ‘SACL Meeting Minutes’ Category

Meeting Minutes – January 2016

Josh Noblitt called the meeting to order with a moment of reflection.

Community Pride

  • Paintings and neighborhood artwork
  • Pride for Parents Christmas toy drive
  • Christmas celebration at Gateway Center
  • Cleanups happening near Smoky’s
  • New neighbors in December – welcomed 3 first time SACL attendees

Community Reports

Police Representative

  • Most crimes in December were in Villages at Carver and involving juveniles
  • Question regarding building/renovations happening without permits

Commissioner Harrington’s Office – Jimmy Jones

  • Sharing recent events (ie. Dads, Daughters, and Dolls)
  • Upcoming: Black History essay content and events coming in February

City Council Pres Ceasar Mitchell – Terrance Wilson, Community Engagement Coordinator

  • Introducing himself (first meeting)
  • Contact: 404.330.6052 (office) 804.247.0021 (Terrance’s cell)
  • 311 is a resource to call for city services

Councilperson Carla Smith

  • “Blue bin” recycling has been found to not be recycling glass. Utilize the CHARM Center on Hill Street for recycling: glass, styrofoam, and more.

Committee Reports

Beautification – Chris McCord

  • Neighbors on south side of neighborhood (Bowen/Turman) organizing local clean up on January 23.
  • April 23 will be Earth Day Tire Round-up – Keep an eye out or set aside tires

Code Enforcement – Rick Sakaske

  • 77 Bisbee will be demolished
  • 127 Thirkield will be demolished
  • 104 Bisbee – Rick is attending mtg tomorrow, Charis is hoping to acquire.

 

Community Business

2016 Overview – Josh Noblitt

  • Jan 23 – Cleanup happening 9-11am at Hardwick & Bowen
  • March – Pancake Breakfast in March
  • April 23 – Earth Day Tire Cleanup
  • April/May – Kickball Tournament
  • August – Progressive Dinner
  • October – Treat Street
  • November – Officers election
  • December – Potluck Celebration at SACL meeting

Hospitality Committee – Josh Noblitt

We’re working to start a Hospitality Committee to welcome new neighbors and create an informational and gift basket for new residents. If you’re interested, contact Josh.

Wave Campaign – Josh Noblitt

We’re signing pledges to wave to each other in the community. It creates a culture of friendliness in the community and contributes to public safety. We have signups to join the movement!

Bylaws Change – Katie Delp

Historically, SACL has been funded primarily by dues. Events have been creating greater income. The conversation is beginning regarding not including dues as a membership requirement. It would require a by-laws change. So it will be an ongoing conversation and a vote is expected in March.

Community Forum

Raised a question about how do we honor/remember past Civic League Presidents. Hospitality Committee might be a good way to acknowledge neighborhood events, such as births, deaths, etc.

Russell – current NPU-Y representative – encouraging South Atlanta attendance at NPU meetings. January 19th at 7pm at John Birdine Center

Youth gathering on Wednesday nights 7-8:30 in Gateway Building ages 9-15. Welcoming youth and volunteers.

Automotive Training Center received a portion of the SACL grant money last year and bought a “project truck” to work on as mechanical skills training.

Meeting adjourned.

Meeting Minutes – October 2015

Josh Noblitt called the meeting to order with a moment of reflection.

 

Community Pride

  • Progressive dinner was great!
  • Carver Neighborhood Market featured on 11Alive and USA Today

 

Community Reports

Police Representative

  • Car break-ins: Remember to remove valuables from your car
  • 2 homicides (Sept 25 & 26) in neighborhood
  • Question asked about gang violence and graffiti; be sure to call 911 if you hear gunfire
  • demferguson@atlanta.ga.gov

Zone 3 Prosecutor – Claire

  • Lots of activity right now, especially breaking into cars looking for guns and selling guns
  • Distributing Community Concerns survey
  • Community Court experience has shown positive results in Industrial Boulevard – next court date October 16
  • Gang Summit has been paused while city hires a gang professional

Commissioner Harrington’s Office – Jimmy Jones

  • Metropolitan Library Grand Opening
  • #fultoncomm5 on social media highlights event photos
  • meal event for homeless
  • Georgia HOA bootcamp – Sat Nov 7 at GA International Convention Center
  • Clothing Drive: Nov 7 -16 (www.fultoncommission5.com)
  • Looking for guests doing good they can feature on their shows

 

Committee Reports

Code Enforcement – Rick Sakaske

  • 82 Brown is now for sale
  • Went to court for 104 Bisbee, owner wants out of house – Rick connected him to Charis Community Housing
  • 77 Bisbee & 127 Thirkield – hearing on Oct 22 with Rem Review Board

 

Community Business

Progressive Dinner was a success!

 

Neighborhood Impact Grant – Josh Noblitt

Winners awarded last month.

  • Chris McCord – lawn mowers for neighborhood residents
  • Larry Witherspoon & Shawn McArgue – carborature for youth training program
  • Kara Haygood – Veteran’s Day Art

 

Community Forum

Russell – NPU-Y meetings going great. Met at Ron Clark and there’s great things happening there.

Carver Reunion is this weekend. We encourage attendance.

Lakewood Ampitheater shows ending soon

Meetings happening about traffic light at University & Pryor

If you’re interested in a 90 min survey (you’ll receive a free meal and a wal-mart gift card), contact Russell

Next Meeting: Oct 19 at John Birdine Center at 7pm

 

St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store : Nov 7 Community Day 10am-2pm at the store

Bethlehem Center having a yard sale on Friday 9-1:30

Summerhill Fall Festival this Saturday 11-7

Complaint about Marathon Station and drug presence and a desire to see it shape up or we do not need it in community. Suggestion to email Major Glaizer to draw attention to it.

Complaint about small business on back side of post office for similar reasons.

Treat Street on Oct 31 5-7pm. Candy donations can be dropped off at Community Grounds/Carver Market

 

Meeting adjourned.

Meeting Minutes – September 2015

Josh Noblitt called the meeting to order with a moment of reflection.

 

Community Pride

  • The recycling center
  • Art gallery on Blashfield

 

Community Reports

 

Local Elected Officials

Commissioner’s Office

  • Followed up on Public Heath Center Building:

 

Committee Reports

 

  • going to court this week for 104 Bisbee On Sept 29 th Final Court date
  • 2 additional properties have court dates scheduled as well
  • 3 Homes will be For Sale this Month from Charis Community Homes

 

Community Business

Progressive Dinner – Tanisha Corporal

  • Sept 19 th
  • We’ll travel house to house eating courses
  • Asian themed
  • Need people to host and prepare food

Gammon Meeting Update – Josh Noblitt

  • Additional meetings forthcoming
  • If you do not live on Gammon corridor and are interested in attending, please talk to Josh.

Neighborhood Impact Grant – Josh Noblitt

  • Only one proposal received for grant money
  • We can extend deadline for one month
  • Ideas for program proposals include beautification projects (i.e. plantings), entertainment (i.e. movie)

School Starting

  • APS starts back to school on Wednesday, August 5
  • Signage welcoming students coordinated by Rick & Chris
  • Other ideas were shared for supporting students

 

Community Forum

Brush or trimming needed by city/state –  311 is a resource

Treat Street October 31, 2015

Candy Donations

Neighborhood index Report Available

 

 

Dates to Remember

Metropolitan Library Grand Opening Oct 1, 2015 11:00am

2015 Blanket Drive  November 2nd -16th 9:00am-4:00pm

HOA Boot Camp Saturday 7th 2015 9:00am-4:00pm

 

 

Meeting adjourned.

Meeting Minutes – August 2015

Josh Noblitt called the meeting to order with a moment of reflection.

 

Community Pride

  • The recycling center
  • Art gallery on Blashfield
  • 1st Day of School coming up Wednesday, August 5

 

Community Reports

Police Representative

  • Reported on monthly crime activity
  • There will additional police support for first day of school

 

Local Elected Officials

Commissioner’s Office

  • Had a great back-to-school event yesterday
  • Homeowner’s Association Bootcamp will be Oct 17; Location TBA
  • Followed up on Public Heath Center Building:

 

Committee Reports

Code Enforcement – Rick Sakaske

  • going to court this week for 104 Bisbee
  • 2 additional properties have court dates scheduled as well

 

Community Business

Progressive Dinner – Tanisha Corporal

  • August 14 6-9 pm
  • We’ll travel house to house eating courses
  • Asian themed
  • Need people to host and prepare food
  • Contact Tanisha to volunteer

Gammon Meeting Update – Josh Noblitt

  • Moved towards solution building at meeting on July 21
  • Additional meetings forthcoming
  • If you do not live on Gammon corridor and are interested in attending, please talk to Josh.

Neighborhood Impact Grant – Josh Noblitt

  • Only one proposal received for grant money
  • We can extend deadline for one month
  • Ideas for program proposals include beautification projects (i.e. plantings), entertainment (i.e. movie)

School Starting

  • APS starts back to school on Wednesday, August 5
  • Signage welcoming students coordinated by Rick & Chris
  • Other ideas were shared for supporting students

 

Community Forum

Brush or trimming needed by city/state –  311 is a resource

Back to School event at Fire Station #2

Mural update regarding Jonesboro Road

 

Dates to Remember

Monday, August 17th – NPU-Y Monthly Meeting at Villages of Carver Family YMCA on Pryor

 

Meeting adjourned.

Meeting Minutes – July 2015

Josh opened the meeting with a Moment of Reflection.

 

Neighbors shared Community Pride moments.

 

Community Reports

Police Representative Major Glazier

  • residents asked about fireworks
  • Clean Car Campaign – remove valuables from vehicles
  • July 19 1p-4p Police in the Park at Rosa Burny park
  • July 23 6p-8p National Night Out Kickoff at Atlanta Civic Center
  • July 25 Quarterly Citywide Safety Training at Police Headquarters
  • Citizen’s Police Academy – for info call 404-546-5650
  • Reported on Gang Summit
  • Discussed Gammon gate closure

Leslie Grant, School Board Member

  • July 21 at 4pm Meeting about Carver & Gammon
  • Hosts Community Coffee focused on education on 1st Saturday of month (August it’s the 2nd Saturday)
  • Sat July 25 from 10a-3p Atlanta Metro College – school supply giveaway
  • APS restructuring allows creation of cluster teams, if interested
  • Carver High School going from 4 high schools to 2; School starts August 5

Cheryl Bennett for Carla Smith

  • Budget passed – no new taxes
  • House assessments have gone up, but millage rates rolled back
  • Supportive of National Night Out

Representative for Marvin Arrington, Jr

  • Aug 2 – Back to School drive; collecting school supplies

 

Committee Reports

Beautification

  • Scheduling cleanups

Code Enforcement

  • In progress

 

Community Business

Progressive Dinner

  • August 14 from 6-9
  • Pan Asian theme

Neighborhood Impact Grant

  • Present at next meeting

 

Community Forum

  • Discussion regarding Gammon Avenue gate closure: seeking to resolve conflict and hosting a meeting with primary stakeholders

Josh adjourned meeting.

Meeting Minutes – June 2015

Josh opened the meeting with a Moment of Reflection

 

Community Pride

  • South Atlanta Revolution won the kickball tournament
  • Vacant lot across from post office being cleaned up
  • Mr. Mel turned 94!

 

Community Reports

Police Representatives

  • expecting small spike in youth activity due to summer
  • we can send tag information for illegal dumping
  • community brought up speeding issue on Brown Avenue
  • graffiti on street

 

Ivory Roberson for Marvin Arrington, Jr., Fulton County District 5 Commissioner

  • He is hosting a town hall meeting on June 16 at 7pm in Oak Hill

 

Carla Smith, Atlanta City Council

  • expressed her admiration for our neighborhood and Josh as president
  • was disappointed that she missed kickball
  • budget time for the city, so it’s a good time to let Carla know about any pet projects
  • Gammon Street closure discussion
    • the idea was raised to invite a mediator to help craft a solution
    • A motion was made by Cathy Taylor to move forward with a mediator – it was seconded by Jeff Delp
    • Vote was taken. Favor:12 – Opposed:0 – Abstentions: 5
    • The vote carries, so Josh will move forward pursuing a mediator
  • Question was posed to Carla about bond money and projects related to our community

 

Committee Reports

Code Enforcement

  • Rick has 3 houses on the list to be demoed by the end of the summer
  • Additional houses were brought up that need attention

 

Community Business

Kickball Update

  • registration was a bit down, but overall did great
  • estimated profit = $227
  • 5 teams played
  • great relationship building activity

 

Progressive Dinner

  • may be 3rd week of July
  • theme ideas needed
  • needs volunteers to join the committee; contact Tanisha

 

Flag Football

  • working with football league in Adair Park
  • details forthcoming

 

Neighborhood Impact Grant

  • ideas are welcome
  • if you don’t want to complete the form, talk to Josh to share your idea

 

Community Forum

  • Larry Witherspoon – started a group of youth 18-25 for working with cars. On June 13, they’re hosting free car inspections at 1pm; need to let Larry know ahead of time
  • Jason gave a shout out to Atlanta Toolbank that provided a lot of the equipment for Kickball. He is interested in spearheading a group to volunteer there periodically.
  • Fulton Co School food program has begun
  • South Bend park camp still has openings for school age kids this summer
  • NPU-Y website has resource information
  • NPU-Y monthly meeting on Monday, June 15 at John Birdine Neighborhood Center
  • Beltline bike tour stopping at Carver Neighborhood Market between 8:30-12

 

Josh adjourned the meeting.

 

Meeting Minutes- May 4, 2015

Josh opened the meeting with a moment of silence

Community Pride

  • Tire Cleanup success last month
  • Carver Market Grand Opening May 16th 2015

Community Reports

Police Representatives

 

  • Burglary uptick
  • Police increase
  • Police has cop on Gamon Street between school hours
  • Concerns students when school is out
  • Free Jazz concert at Grant Park and Old 4th ward Park
  • Working on truancy issues
  • Arrest made in Robbery in grant park

 

Claire Farley, Zone 3 Community Prosecutor

  • Working on truancy issue
  • CourtWatch program is being revived
  • Decrease in property crime, but increase in violent crime (appears targeted)
  • Anti Gang Task Force meeting in June 2015

Committee Reports

Rick Code Enforcement

Showed code Enforcement empty homes Bisbee and Thirkeld will be torn down by summer

 

Chris – Beautification

  • April 18th 9 am – noon – annual tire clean up

Rick – Code Enforcement

  • Upcoming meeting to present houses on Thirkield and Bisbee

Community Business

  • No Dumping signs are now available
  • South Atlanta Project Impact Contest
  • Kickball coming up – May 30 at 10am at Carver HS Baseball fields
  • We received the City of Atlanta Arts Grant! – We will be contracting Olive to work on Jonesboro Rd mural and wall across from Carver High School

Community Forum

  • Brittany and Sashoy with ZipCar

Meeting adjourned

 

Meeting Minutes – April 2015

Civic League – April 6, 2015 at 6:30

 

Josh opened the meeting with a moment of silence

 

Community Pride

 

  • removal of tires near Smokey’s
  • pancake breakfast and Tanisha’s work
  • houses down on Thirkield
  • how good Olive’s art looks on the Marketplace
  • new St. Vincent de Paul thrift store

 

Community Reports

 

Police Representatives

Detective Robinson

New detective – shared about his background

Shared crime report, noting significant decrease in crime

 

Local Elected Officials

 

Cheryl from Carla Smith’s office

  • shared about her participation on the Habitat for Humanity panel in South Atlanta
  • Pubic Safety meetings with city and mayor: Thurs, April 9th 7 pm – 9pm at Zoo Atlanta
  • Earth Day Recycling Event – annual event will be at CHARM center at Englewood/Hill St (instead of Turner Field) Sat April 18 9 am – 3 pm – you can recycle electronics, pesticides, expired medications

Claire Farley, Zone 3 Community Prosecutor

  • Working on truancy issue
  • CourtWatch program is being revived
  • Decrease in property crime, but increase in violent crime (appears targeted)

 

Committee Reports

 

Chris – Beautification

  • April 18th 9 am – noon – annual tire clean up

Rick – Code Enforcement

  • Upcoming meeting to present houses on Thirkield and Bisbee

 

Community Business

  • No Dumping signs are now available
  • South Atlanta Project Impact Contest
  • Kickball coming up – May 30 at 10am at Carver HS Baseball fields
  • We received the City of Atlanta Arts Grant! – We will be contracting Olive to work on Jonesboro Rd mural and wall across from Carver High School
  • Pancake breakfast was a success! Attendance a little bit down, but brought a financial profit.
  • Truancy meeting – collaboration on solutions to truancy concerns
  • Youth programming is available – Basketball tourney on the 25th of April

 

Charis Community Development – has homes on Dorothy, Jonesboro

Requesting a side variance for 1562 Jonesboro Rd

It was approved unanimously

 

Community Forum

  • Brittany and Sashoy with ZipCar

 

Meeting adjourned

 

 

 

Meeting Minutes – March 2015

Meeting March 2, 2015

 

Community Pride

 

  • Houses coming down
  • Progress on grocery store
  • Neighbors fixing up houses
  • Charis has 11 houses being renovated

 

Community Reports

Major Glazier:

  • reported on crime
  • reminder: don’t leave cars running to warm up in the morning

 

Beautification

 

Chris:

  • Tire pick-up April 18: move tires towards curb or near Smokey’s
  • Intern group coming March 23 possibly to do clean up
  • Likely to do a community cleanup right before kickball

 

Code Enforcement

 

Rick:

  • Went to city hall 3 weeks ago for code enforcement meeting
  • Visited lawyer for 2 of the houses – one was torn down
  • 3 down, 17 to go

 

Pancake Breakfast

 

Tanisha

  • Scheduled for March 21 9-11am
  • Cost: $5/person, $15/family
  • Needs volunteers

 

Kristy reported on truancy

We have a grant application out for mural improvement

 

Community Forum

  • Lansing Street near Thayer has become a dump site
  • For cat problem, call animal control or can trap and take to Lifeline for free spaying/neutering
  • Carver Market is scheduled to open mid-April
  • Bob Titus: There’s a possibility to redo McDonough Ave due to Bond structure; let them know you’re interested in McDonough being on the project list; voting on March 17
  • Russell: Love your Blocks grants available
  • Slater Elem Art Show day
  • March 22: Play day at Boulevard Xing Park
  • Get out and attend NPU-Y (3rd Monday)

Kevin from St. Vincent de Paul center; transforming SunTrust into a thrift store and some classroom/training

Meeting Minutes – February 2015

Meeting February 2, 2015

 

Community Reports

APD reported

  • ATV issues
  • truancy issues

 

Josh explained election rules. Each candidate was invited to speak.

 

Josh presented budget and it was passed.

 

FCS interns presented surveys.

Kristy announced truancy meeting.

 

Voting results:

President 9 yes

VP 9 yes

Secretary 9 yes

Asst Secretary 9 yes

Treasurer 9 yes

Parliamentarian 8 yes 1 abstain

 

Open floor for announcements

Meeting adjourned at 7:20

 

 

 

Return top