Archive for the ‘SACL Meeting Minutes’ Category

Meeting Minutes –January 2017

South Atlanta Civic League

January 9th 2017

Call to Order by Josh Noblitt. The body paused for a moment of reflection.

Community Pride – Sonoco new fence 

Community Reports – Crime down in zone 3  by 8%  Homicide up car break ins up for 2017

Police Reports – Major Glazer return to Zone 3 Contact number 404-624-0674 his direct number 

 

Beautification – Chris McCord was unable to attend will have information on dumpster for area in February 

Socono Task Force – Fence Installed still work in progress 

Community Business

Christmas Party – Was a success Thank everyone who participated  

Community Forum  3500.00 Grant money awarded to South Atlanta Civic League, Girl Scout Cookies for sale Contact Kate Delp

Katie Delp – the Friends of South Atlanta Park has received some funds for new trash cans and bulletin board in the park.

 

Meeting Minutes – November 2016

South Atlanta Civic League

November 7, 2016

Call to Order by Josh Noblitt. The body paused for a moment of reflection.

Community Pride – Rick Sakaske reported that 25 tires that had been dumped were picked up. Thanks so the person who did it. Michelle Witherspoon reported that Treat Street was a huge success. Chris McCord that the new principal at Carver HS has been more present in the community than past leaders. Ressie Rockmore reported that the 3on3 basketball tournament last month was a success and encouraged neighbors to reach out to the young men in the community more. Geri Colvard applauded the group of neighbors who have been praying for the community on the first Sundays of the month.

Community Reports

Police Reports – APD Representative Sgt. Dillon reported on last month’s crime. Chris McCord asked about a police chase that took place last week. Sgt. Dillon said he would get back with more details. Ms. Wilder shared that Blackshear Senior Housing is having break ins. Josh Noblitt commented on the excessive ATV traffic. Sgt. Dillon explains APD’s approach to dealing with the ATVs. Kim Bego reported that a young man with a gun had been shooting on Martin Avenue in the beginning of October.

Local Elected Officials – Sheryl Bennett from Carla Smith’s Office encouraged everyone to vote tomorrow. Scrap Tire Drive will be soon. Tires can go to CHARM any Saturday.

Committee Reports

Beautification – Chris McCord has a trailer for tire pick up. Let him know if there are tires that need to get picked up. Chris reported on the lawn mowers he purchased with SACL grant. He was able to get 4 lawn mowers from Home Depot.

Code Enforcement – Rick Sakaske reported on that 62 Meldon will be demolished in the next 14 days. 58 Meldon is in process with the city as well.

Socono Task Force – Crystal Faison reported on the committee’s meetings with the management of Sonoco. Sonoco has been keeping the property cleaner than in the past. They are trying to clean 3 times a day as well as some of the surrounding streets. The committee has asked Sonoco to more capital improvements. Sonoco has agreed to a new fence to be installed by the end of November. Sonoco says they will continue to make improvements. If residents see trash piling up again, please reach out to Josh or the committee.

Community Business

Treat Street Re-Cap – Katie Delp reported on Treat Street’s success.

Christmas Party – The SACL December meeting be our annual potluck and Christmas party at St. Paul AME Church on Pryor Road. Neighbors are asked to sign up to bring a dish and to help with set up or clean up. Contact Michelle Witherspoon if you have questions.

Community Forum

Russell Hopson – NPU nomination and elections are next month. Russell will be running for President again. He encouraged more South Atlanta attendance at NPU meetings. NPU will have a holiday party after the December NPU meeting.

Katie Delp – the Friends of South Atlanta Park has received some funds for new trash cans and bulletin board in the park.

Joyce Wideman – the Bethlehem Senior Center has closed. The seniors are working to get the center re-opened. They are talking with Fulton County. Ms. Wideman brought a petition for residents to sign to keep the center open. Josh Noblitt will write a letter on behalf of SACL, and Russell Hopson will write a letter on behalf of NPU-Y.

Ron Clark Academy will be hosting their annual Christmas party on December 3rd at 6pm. The party is open to the community.

Dan Crain announced that a group of neighbors pray the first Friday evening of each month.

Meeting Minutes – October 2016

October 3, 2016

Call to Order – Josh Noblitt

Moment of Reflection

Community Pride

  • New neighbors moving in
  • New baby born on Gammon
  • FCS moved into the neighborhood behind Carver Market
  • Progressive Dinner was best one yet!

Community Reports

APD Representative – Officer Ferguson

  • Car break-ins are still a very big issue – suspected group of juveniles. Stealing computers, purses, and guns left in cars.
  • 4 aggravated assaults; arrests on 2.
  • GA State will have its own police force in the Turner Field property once they take ownership.

David Dreyer

  • Session begins in January
  • Must be registered to vote by October 11; try earlier online because some are being bounced back
  • Penny sales tax is for infrastructure, including rail, roads, sidewalks, etc.
  • Opportunity Schools – vote to keep local control of schools or give state control to schools

Carla Smith’s Office – Sheryl

  • Two public safety events upcoming
    • Oct 6: 9-1-1 Call Center Tour
    • Oct 20: Active Shooter Event

Committee Reports

Beautification – Chris McCord

  • Scheduling dumpster and waiting for confirmation. Will notify via email blast

Code Enforcement – Rick Sakaske

  • Went to MARTA meeting
  • They are now saying they will now only demo buildings that have been burned
  • Tracking down Meldon homeowners of abandoned buildings
  • If houses are missing doors, call Code Enforcement (404-330-6190) to report

Sonoco Task Force – Kim Bego

  • Last meeting Sept 21
  • Hope for next meeting is to meet with Sonoco plant manager and two additional leaders in the company
  • They responded to our list of immediate needs/requests
  • We have held them accountable on a few items where they have dropped the ball
  • We’re trying to work with them
  • Sonoco has hired 3 fulltime employees whose sole responsibility is to pick up trash

Community Business

Progressive Dinner – Josh Noblitt

  • Great turnout – 50-60 attendees
  • Grateful to all hosts

Treat Street – Katie Delp

  • October 30th, 5pm – 7pm
  • This year will be in South Atlanta Park on tennis courts
  • We need candy!! Please drop off at Community Grounds or at new FCS offices.
  • We also need adult volunteers to set up, clean up, and run games during the evening.
  • Planning committee meeting just after tonight’s Civic League meeting

Community Forum

 

  • Please note our December Civic League meeting will be our Holiday Potluck
  • Citizen’s Fire Academy opens if October if you’re interested in learning about the fire department
  • Oct 8th at Boulevard Crossing Park – 2nd annual playday there. Free games, food, sports, etc. 2pm-6pm
  • NPU is accepting grants for nonprofits in our NPU; see Russell for details and due by Oct 14
  • Free childcare at YMCA on needs basis
  • Morehouse School of Medicine is looking to enroll families in an epilepsy study for pay
  • NPU meeting is October 17
  • Carver Students are circulating on Martin (seems to have shifted from Gammon to Martin), breaking into and stealing cars.
  • Next door app – someone mentioned getting knocking on their windows on front doors around 11 at night.
  • Beltline Connector meeting was good, and more meetings will be happening.
  • Moving in the Spirit is hosting a fundraiser: football, beer, and great folks
  • Southside Striders walking at 5:30 a.m. on Wednesday mornings from Carver Market parking lot
  • SACL elections happening in February

Meeting adjourned.

Meeting Minutes – September 2016

September 12, 2016

Call to Order – Josh Noblitt

Moment of Reflection

Community Pride

  • Renovation on Brown
  • South Atlanta Striders Wednesdays at 5:30am in the Carver Parking lot
  • Chris’ mom passed and South Atlanta showed up to care for him
  • Sherika organized Back-to-school rally – great turnout; call to expand to Slater next year
  • Renovation on Jonesboro Rd.
  • Kickball was great!

Community Reports

APD Representative – Officer Ferguson

  • Car break-ins are a big issue, predominately for items left in car.
  • Jonesboro/Lakewood  intersection is an issue
  • ATVs are a problem, kids are getting hurt and dying. They have a no chase policy, but if you call they will come out.
  • Gun activity on Dorothy seems to be related to drug activity and territories.

Committee Reports

Beautification – Chris McCord

  • Likely a dumpster 1st weekend of October
  • Friends of South Atlanta Park gaining momentum to gain funding for park. They are doing a work day this Saturday 9/17 at 8:30am to mulch a few trees and pick up some trash. Home Depot coming soon to do some major clean-up of underbrush.

Code Enforcement – Rick Sakaske

  • Researching a couple homes on Meldon and Gammon
  • Attending the upcoming meeting for possible bus route changes; contact him for more information
  • Contact Rick for a ride to early voting, if interested

Community Business

Kickball Re-cap – Josh Noblitt

  • Shifted from a fundraising model to a community game of kickball
  • Great weather, free food, DJ, 4 teams

Sonoco Committee – Crystal Fiason

  • Appointed task force to interface with Sonoco
  • 2 meetings thus far, and deciding on measure to hold them accountable
  • Met with plant manager and a manager from another site to voice concerns
  • Next meeting in two weeks and we’re putting in request to meet with corporate leaders
  • Positive response, and committee is eager to see action

Progressive Dinner – September 24 – James Baptiste

  • Start at Kimberly’s house with cocktails and appetizers, and then have a course at each different house: soup course at Tiffany Blake’s house, salad course at Quezada’s house, main course at Ciho’s house, and deserts at Goolsby’s house.
  • SACL subsidizes main course, and we ask participants to bring a dish for one of the other courses. You can sign up with James.

Treat Street – October 30 – Katie Delp

  • This year will be at the park on the tennis courts.
  • Committee forming. If you’d like to join, talk to Katie.
  • We need volunteers to work game booths.
  • We also need candy donations.
  • Haunted House is an area we need help. Talk to Josh.
  • 5pm – 7pm

 

 

Community Forum

 

Meth “entrepreneurs” have left the community!

Beltline “Southside Design” Mtg – Sept 13 at 6:30 pm – 8 pm in Community Grounds. They are exploring where to build “vertical connections,” or places where you can access the Beltline.

Local realtor here to feel out the neighborhood. Fiance wants to move to Atlanta.

Moving in the Spirit has moved to the Old Fourth Ward. Kids between 3-18 open to youth development through dance, they are actively recruiting new students.

NPU-Y September 19 at John Berdine

 

Meeting adjourned.

Meeting Minutes – August 2016

August 1, 2016

Call to Order – Josh Noblitt

 

Moment of Reflection

 

Community Pride

  • New house for sale on Brown
  • Cars gone on corner of Thirkhield & Jonesboro
  • Dorothy Avenue corridor is fully owner occupied
  • Over 100 backpacks sold in Carver Market

 

Community Reports

APD Rep – Officer Dillon

  • Listed recent crime in Villages of Carver – 2 shooting cases assigned to Gun Task Force
  • Noticed some robberies with window entries, which is a bit uncommon
  • Laptop stolen from Gateway Bldg is only incident in South Atlanta mentioned
  • Recently there was an officer-involved shooting at the University Ave exit of I-75/85. Investigation is happening currently with GBI.
  • drichard@atlantaga.gov

Cheryl Bennet – Councilperson Carla Smith’s office

  • Working on public safety series on active shooters and 911 center tour
  • Bulk trash picks up once a month
  • Can request dumpsters from the city for cleanups

Sasha Williams – Commissioner Marvin Arington

  • Introduced herself and she recently replaced Jimmy Jones
  • District Dialogues

Park Cannon – District 58

  • Introduced herself & open to visitors

Committee Reports

Beautification – Chris McCord

Code Enforcement – Rick Sakaske

  • Of original 20 properties, 10 have been demolished or redeveloped
  • Rick gave a status report for all 20 properties

Community Business

Back to School Campaign – Sherika Gordon

  • We’re welcoming Carver students back to school on Wednesday, August 3, 2016.
  • Signs available and other celebratory items welcome
  • Meet at 7:45 a.m. in the Carver Market parking lot

Kickball

  • Scaled back this year.
  • Kickball game on August 20, 2016 at 3 p.m.
  • No registration or tournament. We’ll set up teams day of when we arrive and have a grill.
  • Great community day!

Progressive Dinner

  • Save the Date: September 24
  • Southside neighborhood focus this year
  • 4 courses: Cocktails/Appetizers, Salads, Main Course, & Desserts
  • James Baptiste is organizing host homes

Food Oasis – Neighborhood Teams – Yvonne Wagner

  • Interesting in supporting healthy food efforts in the community
  • Launching Neighborhood Collaboration Teams
  • Through Sept 11 applications available for those in South Atlanta. Will form a team to help create a plan for the neighborhood.
  • Stipend of $250 for all participants for their time
  • Food Oasis supports the 2 for 1 SNAP benefits at Carver Market

Sonoco Request – Bryan Laney

  • Just hired a new plant manager a couple days ago.
  • This new manager should be able to lead housekeeping efforts better than what’s been happening.
  • We recognize there are concerns with privacy fencing and wind blown trash
  • Sonoco is putting in a 500 gallon diesel tank.
  • Gates should be closed to reduce wind blown trash
  • Diesel talk meets all codes and will be fenced and locked.
  • Community raised rat and mosquito issues.
  • Diesel is to fill fork trucks
  • Rick suggested Sonoco return in 60 days to see how their promises have held up
  • Complaints about dust, broken sidewalks due to trucks turning around
  • Concern about current building structure and diesel safety
  • Carver Market staff washing windows and picking up trash from Sonoco
  • Cheryl from Carla Smith’s office offered support for neighborhood
  • NPU-Y will vote on the permit approval in two weeks at Berdine

This comes before us as a motion to approve:

All those in favor of approving their license: 0

Opposed: 16

Abstention: 0

Next steps? We may need to form a task force to present clear expectations before diesel can be approved and should continue beyond as well. Remedies requiring significant capital cannot be completed in 60 days. Discussion of a communications plan to keep neighborhood in the loop of improvement progress.

 

Community Forum

St. Vincent de Paul is having a job fair on Monday, August 15

Southside Striders – walking group walking one morning a week and one evening a week. 6 am on Wednesdays and 6 pm on Thursdays.

Leslie Grant – School Board – monthly coffee at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, August. New principals of Price and Carver will be present.

Beltline Mtg – August 9 Grant Park at Zoo 6:30-8pm 800 Cherokee Coca-Cola Room

Beltline Mtg – Sept 13 in the Gateway Bldg

New neighbor on Dorothy

NPU-Y August 16 at John Berdine

Meeting Minutes – July 2016

July 11, 2016

Call to Order – Josh Noblitt

 

Moment of Reflection

 

Community Pride

  • New Library on Pryor
  • New Laundromat
  • Neighborhood Fireworks

 

Community Reports

None tonight. (Our meeting moved due to 4th of July last week.)

Committee Reports

Beautification – Chris McCord

  • Great Earth Day
  • Upcoming efforts for heavy overgrowth intersections
  • If you know of overgrowth areas, contact James Baptiste
  • Questions about Paperstock trash

Code Enforcement – Rick Sakaske

  • Of original 20 properties, 10 have been demolished or redeveloped

Kickball

  • Changing a bit this year.
  • Kickball game on August 20, 2016
  • No registration or tournament. We’ll set up teams day of when we arrive and have a grill.
  • Great community day!

Progressive Dinner

  • Southside neighborhood focus this year
  • James Baptiste is organizing host homes
  • Save the Date: Sept 24

Voter Registration

  • Encouraging local neighbors to register to vote and get out and vote

Welcome Back To School Initiative

  • First Day of School: August 3
  • We want to welcome faculty, staff, and students the morning of the 1st day
  • We’re printing additional “Carver Pride” yard signs
  • Sherika Woods is organizing

Treat Street

  • Coming on October 30
  • We’ve applied for grant from Lakewood Ampitheater to purchase more carnival games

Holiday Potluck

  • Will happen 1st Monday of December in place of Civic League Meeting
  • Searching for a new location

 

Community Forum

Question about membership dues. At this time we are not changing the fee structure: $35/individuals $20/seniors $50/household (2 votes). We are considering an “annual sale” in January to encourage everyone to join each year.

Historic South Atlanta signs – lots of interest, so we need to consider a reorder.

Parking challenges on Martin

Concern about old Marathon station on Jonesboro/Lakewood – resources have been deployed to that location.

NPU-Y meeting this coming Monday

Carver Neighborhood Market is selling backpacks full of school supplies for $5-8.

Heavy automatic gunfire at corner Lethea and Lakewood almost daily. Continue to call.

 

Meeting Adjourned

Meeting Minutes – May 2016

May 2, 2016

Call to Order – Josh Noblitt

Community Pride

  • Basketball Tournament Good turn out
  • Clean up day was sucess 2 dumpsters was donated
  • New Homes on Dorthy Rd Almost complete

Community Reports

Police Representative – David Ferguson

  • 1 car was stolen at Basketball Tournament
  • Shed break-ins happening in Grant Park, so call if people are walking around with garden/construction equipment
  • 1 robbery at gun point on Jonesboro Rd at Bus Stop
  • Support of the foot beat, officers parking at gas station in Lakewood

Committee Reports

Beautification

  • Dumpster still in area for trash disposal
  • Progressive  Dinner coming up

Kickball

  • Samantha Scully organizing
  • Kickball Postponed till August 2016
  • www.southatlantakickball.com
  • If you are interested in becoming a captain, you can sign up on the website later this week
  • samantha @ brandmeagency.com

 

Community Forum

Senior Center is closing up and needs to be secured.

Georgia Voter Tax Survey to limit how much housing taxes can increase annually

Early Voting May 2nd

Vote on May 24th

Meeting Adjourned

Meeting Minutes – April 2016

April 4, 2016

Call to Order – Josh Noblitt

Community Pride

  • Lots of neighbors working to clean up the community
  • Local Food Meal Prep Competition
  • New Homes on Dorthy Rd Almost complete

Community Reports

Police Representative – David Ferguson

  • Car Thefts in Carver Homes area
  • Shed break-ins happening in Grant Park, so call if people are walking around with garden/construction equipment
  • 3 Stores break Ins in middle of night
  • Support of the foot beat, officers parking at gas station in Lakewood
  • Burglar was caught and is currently in jail for multiple Break ins

Committee Reports

Beautification

  • Ramping up for clean-ups; if you see tires, pile them up and call Chris to store in his backyard until the April 23
  • Planning a dumpster before kickball
  • Buckhead Chruch will be helping with tire round up

Kickball

  • Samantha Scully organizing
  • May 7 date
  • www.southatlantakickball.com
  • If you are interested in becoming a captain, you can sign up on the website later this week
  • samantha @ brandmeagency.com

 

Community Forum

Senior Center is closing up and needs to be secured.

Georgia Voter Tax Survey to limit how much housing taxes can increase annually

Early Voting May 2nd

Meeting Adjourned

Meeting Minutes – March 2016

March 7, 2016

Call to Order – Chris McCord

Community Pride

  • Lots of neighbors working to clean up the community
  • Local gardens and food organizations

Community Reports

Police Representative – David Ferguson

  • Keep an eye on chilly cars being stolen in the morning with keys inside
  • Shed break-ins happening in Grant Park, so call if people are walking around with garden/construction equipment
  • Some changes have happened regarding tires and transportation needs permitting and tires should be marked
  • Support of the foot beat, officers parking at gas station in Lakewood

Candidate for GA House District 59 – Janine Brown

  • If you make $54,000 or less, you can get free electronic filing; call 211 to ask

Commissioner Harrington’s Office – Jimmy Jones

  • Great weekend at Black History film festival
  • Presented schedule of 2016 District Dialogues
  • Responded to question regarding relocation of Bethlehem Senior Center

Sheryl for Councilperson Carla Smith

  • Earth Day events coming up April 23
  • Streets Alive – April 17 – coming through District 1

Committee Reports

Beautification

  • Ramping up for clean-ups; if you see tires, pile them up and call Chris to store in his backyard until the April 23
  • Planning a dumpster before kickball

Kickball

  • Samantha Scully organizing
  • May 7 date
  • www.southatlantakickball.com
  • If you are interested in becoming a captain, you can sign up on the website later this week
  • samantha @ brandmeagency.com

Bylaws Change – tabled until April meeting

Code Enforcement – Rick Sakaske

  • 104 Bisbee – working to change ownership to Charis, but title searched revealed
  • 127 Thirkheld – Burned down house given to demo company and is coming down
  • 77 Bisbee – delayed in demo, but city is moving forward

Community Forum

Senior Center is closing up and needs to be secured.

Georgia Voter Tax Survey to limit how much housing taxes can increase annually

Atlanta Taco Festival – May 1

Meeting Adjourned

 

Meeting Minutes – February 2016

February 1, 2016

Community Pride

Community Reports

Police Representative

  • catching lots of juvenile right after school for break ins
  • stealing gutters
  • gambling and drug sales

Commissioner Harrington’s Office – Jimmy Jones

  • essay contest for kids in neighborhood

Committee Reports

Kickball

  • needs new energy – conference call next week

Wave Campaign

Bylaws Change – Katie Delp

We will vote on this change next month.

Community Forum

APS meetings regarding Carver Cluster

Russell reported on NPU-Y

Meeting adjourned.

Return top